Garmin® nüvi® 780 Puts Traffic, Stocks, News at Your Fingertips with MSN Direct
Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced the nüvi 780 – the newest addition to the popular nüvi family and the most powerful in its acclaimed 700 series. The nüvi 780 was announced in preparation for the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and will be on display at the Garmin booth (#35832 in South 4).
“The nüvi 780 brings vital information – through dynamic updates – to recreational and business travelers,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “Whether you’re doing your daily commute, on an extended business trip or relaxing on vacation, the nüvi 780 uses the second generation of MSN Direct to provide the most important details you need at a glance.”
Travelers can test the new features out for themselves at Avis Rent A Car. Avis Where2, based on the nüvi 780, will be available for rent with any Avis vehicle.
The enhanced dynamic content from the second generation of the MSN Direct network, which is also included on Garmin’s newly announced nüvi 880, includes:
- Traffic conditions: receive up-to-date traffic incident and flow information for most metropolitan areas across North America, and let nüvi select a route that avoids traffic accidents, road closures, and construction.
- Fuel prices: receive gas price data from over 100,000 gas stations across the nation. Drivers will always know where to get the best prices – and save time and fuel by using their unit to navigate directly to the station of their choice.
- Weather reports: features current weather conditions (including high/low/current temperatures, chances of precipitation, humidity, pressure, wind, and weather alerts) as well as three day weather forecasts.
- Enhanced movie listings: search for movies by title or by theater and receive show times, ‘star’ ratings, genre, actors, and more – and get driving directions to the theater.
- Local events: receive special notices on festivals, concerts, and sporting events in your area, and navigate to them.
- News and stocks: the latest news headlines and financial market updates are always at your fingertips.
- Send to GPS capability: plan trips and look up destinations from the convenience of your computer, via Windows Live Local, and then wirelessly send locations to your nüvi 780.
Three months of free MSN Direct service is included with the purchase of the nüvi 780. Owners can re-subscribe for $49.95 a year, or a one-time charge of $129.95. For more information on MSN Direct services and coverage areas, visit http://garmin.msndirect.com.
The nüvi 700 series has been widely praised for being the first to answer two common questions: “Where am I?” and “Where’s my car?” At any time, with a single tap of the screen, drivers can display their exact latitude and longitude coordinates, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations and gas stations. And to help drivers find their car in an unfamiliar spot or vast parking lot, the nüvis in the 700 series automatically mark the position in which they were last removed from the mount.
The nüvi 780 comes preloaded with highly detailed City Navigator NT road maps for the entire United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. The nüvi 780 is also compatible with audible.com, a subscription based audio book service.
About Garmin International Inc.
Garmin International, Inc. is a member of the Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq:GRMN) group of companies which designs, manufactures, markets, and sells navigation, communication and information devices and applications -- most of which are enabled by GPS technology. Garmin is a leader in consumer and general aviation navigation and its products serve the automotive/mobile, outdoor/fitness, marine, and aviation markets. Garmin Ltd. is incorporated in the Cayman Islands, and its principal subsidiaries are located in the United States, Taiwan and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit Garmin's virtual pressroom at www.garmin.com/pressroom or contact the Media Relations department at 913-397-8200. Garmin and nüvi are registered trademarks, and Garmin Lock and Garmin Travel Guide are trademarks of Garmin Ltd. or its subsidiaries.
All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Notice on forward-looking statements
This release includes forward-looking statements regarding Garmin Ltd. and its business. All statements regarding the company’s future product introductions are forward-looking statements. Such statements are based on management's current expectations. The forward-looking events and circumstances discussed in this release may not occur and actual results could differ materially as a result of known and unknown risk factors and uncertainties affecting Garmin, including, but not limited to, the risk factors listed in the Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 30, 2006 filed by Garmin with the Securities and Exchange Commission (Commission file number 000-31983). A copy of Garmin’s Form 10-K can be downloaded at www.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/finReports.html. No forward-looking statement can be guaranteed. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and Garmin undertakes no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.